For those who live in chennai, water is something very precious. Uninterrupted supply of good water during summer is still a dream come true for most of them. When this is the case, how come i have something to say about hand washing? Strange!
Hand washing though the most simple way of preventing infection, it is rarely practiced. We hear it most of the time from our parents to wash our hands before eating. Why are they so obsessed with this act?
The main purpose of washing hands is to clean our hands from dirt, chemicals, germs etc. It is very important for peolpe who handle food and work in the medical field. As I am related to the medical field, I realized the importance of washing hands. At least now i wash my hands regularly. So what do i have to say about it?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has stated: “It is well-documented that the most important measure for preventing the spread of pathogens is effective handwashing.”
One should wash hands regularly throughout the day and especially at these times:
- Preparing food
- Caring for the sick; changing dressings, giving medicines
- Looking after babies or the elderly
- Starting work; especially if you are a food handler or health professional
- Putting in contact lenses
- Handling raw foods (meat, fish, poultry and eggs) and touching any other food or kitchen utensils
- Handling raw foods, particularly meat, fish and poultry
- Going to the toilet
- Touching rubbish/waste bins
- Changing nappies
- Caring for the sick, especially those with gastro-intestinal disorders
- Coughing or sneezing, especially if you are sick
- Handling and stroking pets or farm animals
- Gardening – even if you wear gloves
- Cleaning pet litter boxes
Do we wash our hands effectively? I am afraid we do not. This picture clearly shows the areas we miss during washing.
The most effective way of washing our hands:
1. Wash hands with warm running water, apply soap and lather well.
2. Rub each area together for at least 15 seconds.
3. Rinse hands and dry thoroughly with dry towel.
It does make a lot of difference when one washes their hands effectively. So no matter in what field you are in, wash your hands regularly. Remember, proper and frequent hand washing is the key way to prevent the spread of many common infections.
GLOBAL HANDWASHING DAY: October 15. Does not mean that you have to wash your hands only on that day. Lol.